Pages

MEET AKIN AKINAYO, HIV POSITIVE NIGERIAN MAN WHO CAME OUT AS A GAY THROUGH FUNMI IYANDA.

In 2002, 51 year old Akin Akintayo, pictured below, found out he was HIV positive.
  In 2009,  at the height of his career and life, Akin was diagnosed with Kaposi Sarcoma. Kaposi sarcoma (KS) is a cancer that develops from the cells that line lymph or blood vessels. This type of KS develops in people who are infected with HIV, the virus that causes AIDS.
  Soon after his cancer diagnosis, Akin also developed full-blown AIDS. Without any family in the Netherlands where he was based, he spent weeks in hospital and months of chemotherapy on his own.
  A year and a half later, Akin's cancer had gone into remission and his HIV viral load fallen to undetectable. His doctors believe it was a miraculous recovery.
  Yesterday through renowned TV personality, Funmi Iyanda, Akin Akintayo came out as gay in a 
  moving story now gone viral that Funmi shared on her Medium page.
  In it, Funmi revealed how her friend Akin Akintayo's disease took its toll on him, his work and finances such that he had to sell his half a million Euro penthouse. Akin suffered job loss, home loss and eventual homelessness.
  Funmi also detailed how Akin bounced back. Read her story below:
 
I remember the first time l saw him at the cemetery.

I had been crying. I had not quite cried since leaving the hospital but when the flames of the incinerator swallowed Remi — in that beautiful coffin we had carefully selected -something gave in my chest. The unceremonious finality of cremation startled me. I ensured Remi got the sort of funeral she would approve of, but in all our many conversations l had never asked her preference. But then, I hadn’t expected her sudden death.

She was Buddhist, I suppose Buddhists automatically want cremation, but Remi liked the attention of those she loved. Would she not have preferred a burial so we can bring her flowers as she did her mother? White lilies, clean, neat, streamlined, as she liked things. Remi was a person who straddled contradictions effortlessly.

So l cried out of a sudden fear l had let my friend down. The deep dankness of grief would not hit until much later.

It was through those tears, on a cold November morning, that l saw Akin, he looked young but he looked old, he had a walking stick and dressed like he belonged in a 50’s swing musical; cravat, pocket square, hat and all.


He was a master of innuendoes and pointless trivia whose engineer’s mind solved and resolved tech problems.

Oh yes, my friend Akin is gay, has been all his life. He didn’t leave Nigeria because he was gay, he’s middle class, to be poor is the only real crime, he left because he wanted to become more than was on offer in 1990. He left a high paying job and a company he was part owner of to start over in London then he moved to Amsterdam. He hasn’t been home in 26 years but my meddlesome determination is that he must come home to visit his family.
Akin turned 51 last week, he really should visit his aged mother and father in Nigeria, l know he’d like to but Nigeria feels like an unknown entity.

We were talking about this on Christmas Day when the news of George Michael’s death broke, suddenly he turned to me and said, Funmi l want to come out, and I want you to be the one to do this for me, I want people to know I’m gay. I have never consciously hidden it but l want to state it now and make it open.

I asked why, he said, its time, l asked if he was sure. He said yes.
So l wrote this story.

For my friend Broda Akin, Uncle ilu oyinbo.
Funmi's Medium page.

1 comment:

  1. I am here to give my testimony
    about Dr babaiba who helped me.. i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by salami, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Dr babaiba cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took for just 2 weeks and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result came out negative. I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that there is no cure for herpes that is Not true just contact him and get cure from Dr babaiba healing herbal cure of all kinds of sickness you may have like
    #CANCER,
    #DIABETES,
    #HIV
    #AIDS,
    #Herpes
    #Std
    #URINARYTRACT #INFECTION,
    #CANCER,
    #IMPOTENCE,
    #BARENESS
    #INFERTILITY
    #DIARRHEA
    #ASTHMA
    #SIMPLEXHERPES #GENITAL
    #COLDSORE
    . he also cure my friend from cervical #cancer Email: (drbabaibaherbalsolutiontemple@gmail.com) or call or WHATAPP +2348140046509 I am forever greaful ...

    ReplyDelete

Recent posts

Recent Posts Widget Recent Post Style #5 recent posts, blogger gadget